Justice for all on Elder Abuse Awareness day

By Sherry Young Special to the Immokalee Bulletin As Americans, “justice for all” is a concept we embrace. Yet every year, an estimated five million Americans experience elder abuse, neglect, or exploitation. That number equates to one in every ten older adults. Elder abuse is an injustice that affects everything from our public health to […]

Restaurant donates to Beta Club

At the June 5 Immokalee Chamber of Commerce Breakfast meeting held by the Chamber’s vice president Corporal Patti Calderon, a number of guest speakers gave updates on what’s going on in the Immokalee community and surrounding areas. One speaker made an announcement that the Immokalee High School Beta Club was still short of funds to […]

NOAA predicts near-normal 2019 hurricane season

The National Oceanographic and Atmospheric Administration’s (NOAA) Climate Prediction Center is predicting that a near-normal Atlantic hurricane season is most likely this year. This outlook forecasts a 40 percent chance of a near normal season, a 30 percent chance of an above normal season and a 30 percent chance of a below normal season. The […]

The Immokalee Foundation installs 2019-20 board of directors

NAPLES – The Immokalee Foundation recently announced the installation of the organization’s 2019-20 board of directors. Board members at large are Steve Pryor, chair; David Legus, treasurer; Alison Douglas, secretary; Jerry Belle; Tarren Bragdon; Charles “Chuck” Campbell; John Griswold; Joyce Hagen; Karen Hendricks; Donald Huffner; Barbara Morrison; Peter Negri; Linda Salazar; John Tobe; and Joseph […]

Fire Officials remind residents to burn responsibly

Wildfire dangers are elevated this week due to forecast hot and dry conditions and the Florida Forest Service, Okeechobee District wants to remind residents to burn responsibly. Burning yard waste does not require a burn authorization from the Florida Forest Service as long as your burn meets specific requirements and there are no local, city […]

Disaster Preparedness Sales Tax Holiday Friday, May 31 through Thursday, June 6

Gov. Ron DeSantis recently signed the Florida Legislature-approved 2019 Disaster Preparedness Sales Tax Holiday to help Florida residents purchase items related to disaster preparedness without having to pay sales tax. The sales tax holiday runs from Friday, May 31, through Thursday, June 6. Collier County Emergency Management Services urges every resident to take advantage of […]

Lipman 5K Run for Backpacks raises over $45K

IMMOKALEE – Children in Immokalee can end this school year knowing they’ll have the tools they need to learn and succeed next year. The Lipman 5K Run for Backpacks raised a record amount of over $45,000 on May 11 to support the upcoming Lipman Family Farms Backpack Giveaway, enabling more children to receive the school […]

Pathways’ dedicates Benison Center Family Room

In honor of Pathway’s ongoing relationship with the Benison Center to provide critical support services to the families of Pathways, the center is dedicating a new “Benison Center Family Room”. The purpose of the family room is to give Pathways teachers a more comfortable and private place to discuss each individual child’s needs with their […]

Roberts Center hopes to expand services

People who have lived in Immokalee for many years are familiar with Roberts Center on Roberts Ave. It has been the home of a Senior Citizens Nutrition and Activity Program for a long time. The Feeding Program is part of the Collier County Senior Social Services Department. Over time, as the elderly population has changed, […]

First Florida Integrity Bank backs Taste of Immokalee Expansion

IMMOKALEE – Taste of Immokalee is rapidly expanding, with the statewide rollout into Publix stores now expected to include 240 locations. With this growth comes the hurdle that many small businesses struggle to overcome: the ability to finance the expansion. As an avid supporter of Taste of Immokalee, First Florida Integrity Bank has agreed to […]